Monday, April 19, 2010

My Final Reflections

The term has come to an end in a blink of an eye. Looking back at the semester, this module would definitely be one that I’ll remember, simply because it’s different. I love the discussions that go on in the class, I love hearing people’s opinions and viewpoints and the openness that everyone has which creates a really good atmosphere. I wouldn’t say I’ve done much to contribute to it, but as Brad mentioned, learning the skills to be an effective communicator is not one that take days, months but years. My personality is something that I’ve always found hindering me from being an effective communicator, preventing me from speaking and opening up.

One of the main takeaways that I’ve gotten from this module is being able to learn what it takes to have good interpersonal and communication skills, how to bring across ideas clearly and concisely. It was always a pleasure watching how Rohan, Clement and Brad do it and for me personally, the best way to learn is to just watch how people do it, and try to apply it to yourself in a way which best suits you.

The other main takeaway would definitely be the resume and cover letter lessons. I personally never knew there was such a thing as cover letter before this class. It would definitely be something that will benefit me cum graduation.

Lastly, I would like to thank Brad and the class for the great experience this semester. I’m a person who shows really little emotions but I personally did enjoy the class and I thought all of you guys were great!

My pleasure meeting all of you

9 comments:

  1. Hey Glenn,

    I do agree that being an effective communicator takes a very long time. However since you already have a solid command of the language, I'm sure that with some practice, you would be able to communicate professionally.

    It is also my pleasure meeting you, and I hope to see you around if there's any future gatherings!

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glenn,

    I personally find that you are already a good speaker depsite your personality. Have more confidence in yourself, Glenn! You are doing a great job in ES2007S!

    I do agree that 'learning the skills to be an effective communicator is not one that take days, months but years'. It is true that one will never improve his or her oral communication skills overnight. I also face the same problem as you - my soft-spoken nature and personality have hindered me from speaking and opening up in class. It really requires a great deal of effort and time in overcoming it. Continue applying the skills that you have learnt from ES2007S in your daily life, and I believe that you will be an outstanding speaker someday in future!

    All the best in your future endeavourS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Glenn,

    I definitely agree with Weiying. You do have the spark in you. I am sure one day you'll be such a professional great speaker that each time you present a speech it would seem like you own the stage. Do have more confidence in yourself and go for greatness Glenn!

    Wish you all the best in the upcoming exams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Glenn!

    As the two ladies before me have said, I really do think you are a good speaker. You just don't show it. It's like hidden beneath your cool exterior and you release it when needed to. I am sure with more practice and confidence in yourself, you will be an excellent communicator with time.

    Pity I didn't get to work with you much during the course of this semester. But I'm glad that we did have a sharing session together during the last session. It has been my pleasure!

    Thank you, Glenn!

    Good luck in your revision! :)

    ~nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Glenn!

    I like the way you express your thoughts, both in written and verbal communication. You do it with such simplicity and clarity, with a certain style of elegance that I can't quite put a finger to. Perhaps it is your sincerity which makes one feel very much at ease. Like many have mentioned, you definitely have the potential to be an outstanding speaker.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have already proven yourself having presented twice in class. Well, I believe it becomes easier now that you have graduated from ES2007S. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Glenn, for this heartfelt reflective post, for the various accolades for the course and for all your hard work during the term. I realize that you are rather shy and that you were sitting back listening to us more so that jumping into the usual fray. However, when yiu did speak, we all benefitted by hearing your perspective on the various content topics. Also, you obviously contributed well to your team's work and to the project work in general. I'm confident you will eventually come out of your shell.

    All the best in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Glenn

    I agree with you that watching people do things is one of the best ways of learning. Like you, I have learnt much from Brad and some of our classmates.

    It was a pleasure working with you for our project. All the best for your exams!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi all,

    Thanks for all the encouraging comments. Self belief and confidence is something that I do lack a lot of times and many people have told me that in the past as well. It’s definitely something that I will work on.

    ReplyDelete