Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Oral Presentation Reflections

13th April was the day of Team Invictus oral presentation and with it, it spells the end of the research project that we had been working on. Before I post on my comments I would like to say a big thank you to my team and I personally really enjoyed the experience that I had. Although we didn’t really have a good start, I thought we ended with a blast.

My personal reflections with regards to the content:

For our team’s methodology, we had to narrow down all the feedback and suggestions to three main ones to suit the theme. We at the same time had to ensure that we present it in a concise manner. However, this to some extend caused the info to be of little depth and me on my part, I could have elaborated more on who exactly were the people that were interviewed, and introduce the people in the video.

My personal reflections with regards to my presentation:

Personally I’m relief that I managed to say most of what I had planned to say during the presentation. I felt I might have spoken a little too fast in some areas because this is something I tend to do when I get nervous and at the same time, I was time conscious. After my presentation, I also realized I tend to step forward and backward while speaking. This could be an area which is distracting to the audience.

Overall, the presentation was a fantastic experience and I really enjoyed the actual presentation as well as the run through. I learned that for me personally, I really got to put in the time and run through my speech again and again to enable myself to form out the words that I am most comfortable with. Only then can I speak with more fluidity.

Once again, great job team!

9 comments:

  1. Dear Glenn,

    Thank you for the concise reflection. I enjoyed the run through as well and feel you have a very deep voice that sounds great during a presentation!

    Generally, the louder and clearer we are, the better we are understood and I thought you did great. It is hard for me to pick out feedback as I was a part of the presentation myself. I'll leave that part to the rest.

    Was a pleasure working with you!
    Cheers
    Rohan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were well rehearsed and was quite smooth throughout the presentation. Your transition to the video and between you and Rohan were very good as well. I just felt that you could be more expressive to engage the audience. Congratulations on surviving ES 2007S!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Glenn,

    I think you have done a pretty good job :) I remembered that your methodology part was quite wordy and there was quite a lot of information on it. Somehow you had succeeded in summarizing your points and bringing your messages across to the audience effectively.

    Also, you were quite concise in your explanations, and appeared quite composed throughout the whole presentation.

    Good job Glenn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Glenn,

    Congrats! I felt that your presentation was really good. You were loud, clear and convincing. Most importantly, you were confident throughout your presentation. I would say you managed to engage most of us by expressing yourself effectively.

    Good job! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenn,


    I think you made a right decision to take off your glasses. I liked your new appearance that day alot and the way you styled your hair makes you look really alert and 'ready for action'.

    I do remember in your part of the presentation you showcased the video which featured the people your team interviewed. Even though the video was well accepted by our peers, I personally felt that the volume was too low to be heard from the back (I was sitting far back).

    That aside, you did great Glenn...it was really a different side of you that day. I've never seen that kind of confident aura coming from you till your OP day. Guess what, I think this is still not your best - I've got a feeling you've even more to offer. If there be more speaking opportunities coming your way, do an even greater job. Surpass limits each time and go for greatness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Glenn,

    I think you did a really good job in your presentation. Your delivery was clear, confident and professional. I could catch most of the points that you wanted to put across.

    Just to add on what Jie Ren has commented, I feel that one thing you can improve on is your enthusiasm in your project. After all, you are "selling" your team's ideas.

    Nonetheless, I find your presentation commendable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Glenn,

    Nice delivery, very clear and calm voice. Nice projection of voice as well. Yes, I do agree with you that it is important to practise, practise and practise your script over, over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Glenn,

    I was quite impressed by your presentation. I thought you were extremely confident and clear. Unlike what you thought, I did not think you spoke too fast at any time. Furthermore, you managed to keep a good balance between being formal and sounding friendly and sincere. I did not notice that you were stepping forward and backward, until I read your blog, so I think we were not distracted by that at all. Really good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi all!

    A very big thank you for all your encouraging comments, certainly does give me a lot more confidence and I’m glad you all enjoyed the presentation. I decided to do away with the spectacles because I felt it would give me a lot more connection with the audience. I definitely will work on expressing myself more as this is something I always struggle with.

    All the best for all of your future presentations friends!

    ReplyDelete